Monday, October 31, 2016

MY FIRST BACKPACK: GELERT SHADOW 65L + 10L

All this while, I've been travelling with a 28L pack - sufficient for a weekend away, not so for longer trips with all manner of weather and activities bundled in (winter in Sydney, hiking Mt. Rinjani in Lombok, diving in Koh Tao, etc). 

This has forced me to always take a large separate carry-on, which is truly annoying when you're running through airports, shoving luggage into bus compartments, wading knee-high through waves from the shore to the taxiboat to take you to your next island, or wandering around in a new city trying to find your hostel on foot and walking for up to 3 hours lugging all your stuff around (because if you're anything like me, you'll be too cheap to pay aka get ripped off by a cab driver).

Finally, I said enough was enough and bought myself a proper travelling rucksack. Yes, the massive kind all the backpackers use which look like they could well fit everything plus the kitchen sink.

My rucksack holds 65L + 10L (expandable) with a lightweight aluminium frame (helps distribute weight evenly), comes with a raincoat, and has a nice comfy sturdy belt with buckles (so weight is also portioned on your hips and back instead of solely on your shoulders). It has a special compartment for shoes and I got mine in green! (My favourite colour). 

I tried it on in the store, taking my time to adjust every strap and buckling up fully to have a proper feel of how it would fit me. It did great! 





Pictures are of the Gelert Shadow 55L + 10L as I couldn't find any of the 65L + 10L ; though I do assure you they look just the same with the only difference being size.

I was a bit skeptical as I'd never heard of Gelert. I researched them and turns out they are a long-time established UK owned company which manufacture an entire world of hiking, camping, and backpacking gear. Think tents, hiking poles, sleeping bags, hiking boots, backpacks, raincoats, etc. Several reviews from varied sources give them the thumbs up, so I would assume they are a reliable bet.

Looking forward to many happy travels with this one. :)

***
In case you're wondering, I got mine for Rm119 (marked down from Rm600) from Sports Direct Warehouse in Subang. I would highly recommend them as they have an abundance of options to cater to every budget and preference. Karrimor, Deuter, North Face, and Osprey are the more prominent brands which come at Rm600-800 on average for a 55L.

Sports Direct Warehouse
Address: 8, Jalan SS 13/5, Subang Jaya Industrial Estate, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Business hours: 10am - 8pm daily (open on weekends)






No comments:

Post a Comment