Tuesday, September 29, 2015

THE MEASURE OF STRENGTH

When I was younger, hot-blooded, obstinate, and short-tempered, I used to think that true strength was gritting your teeth and sticking by your decisions and stubbornly defending your stand no matter what.

Looking back now though, I think I have a different interpretation.

I think true strength, is...

   ...openness to the possibility of being wrong.
   ...receptiveness that someone else may be more intelligent than you.
   ...willingness to be challenged, then coming around to say " Hmm, I never thought of that. That never occurred to me, but it actually makes more sense. I agree with you. "
   ...humility to accept that you can't do everything on your own, and the grace to allow others to step in and help.
   ...possessing the courage, dignity, and maturity to turn from your fixed pattern of thoughts, to be keen and interested to discover differing ideas and conclusions which may very well be better than yours.
   ...being able to receive failure and rejection, and try again, and yet again with enthusiasm, and learning something new at every attempt.

There is nothing wrong, with admitting you were wrong.
There is nothing weak, in needing another person / people.
There is nothing cowardly, in forsaking old and less relevant perspectives to receive and adapt fresh insights.





No comments:

Post a Comment