Saturday, February 22, 2014

TO BE OR NOT TO BE

" Decide what you want, or it will be decided for you. "

Of late, I have been on the receiving end of the aforementioned phrase. The people who tell me this (with good intentions) are mostly substantially older friends whom I look up to ; who are getting somewhere with their lives.


I get what they mean. If you don't have a clear goal to solidify yourself to, if you lack a strong purpose and do not have a defined direction - then you are as adrift as a reed, tossed and thrown about this stormy maelstrom that is life.

Decide what you want. Then with determination and with utmost urgency, get up and go! Channel all your energy, focus your entire being, put everything you have into getting there. 

But how can I decide where I want to be, when I'm not even aware of what endless possibilities lie out there?

(Deconstructively put, it would be akin to having to place your order when you don't even know what's on the menu.)

How would I know what I should be looking for, if I haven't even seen, felt, touched, or experienced it?

I don't even know myself well enough to know what I should be looking for.

And how would I figure myself out ; how would I learn and develop and grow as a person if not for trying new things, venturing from my comfort zone, taking on challenges, putting myself out there and exploring the world that lies beyond what is familiar (even if it scares the heck out of me)?

                        





No comments:

Post a Comment