Sunday, January 5, 2014

A CUSTOMER SERVICE STORY

A few days ago, I went to DiGi to make some adjustments to my phone plan.

The girl who saw to me was friendly, courteous and efficient. Which given the industrial norm, proved a pleasant surprise indeed. As a way of saying thank you, I asked if they had any customer service feedback forms so I could compliment her for a job well done.

It is apparently not the norm either to thank people in this industry. Slightly taken aback, she politely told me that there were no such forms. Hence I ended up using a blank sheet of paper to word down a few sentences of acknowledgement. 

I think this was the first time I've ever done so (as in formally commended someone for doing a good job.) No, I had not had an especially wonderful day. I was not particularly overflowing with goodwill and altruism, nor had I won a billion dollar jackpot in the lottery. To be frank, I did it simply and without much thought. (I suppose it's because I'm just a genuinely nice person like that heh.) It took all but three minutes, then I handed her the slip of paper and left.

***
This afternoon, I received a call from an unknown number. However, I ignored it as I was busy. A short while later, I received a text from the same number.

It was Claire, the girl who had attended to me. She exuberantly described how her supervisor had passed it on to her manager, who passed it on to his manager, who passed it on to upper management at their HQ. The whole company was abuzz - the short paragraph I had penned out was being sent out to every member of their staff as a form of encouragement. A reminder to thousands of employees that no matter how trivial they perceive their work to be, people still recognize and validate a job well done.  

She gratefully gushed her thanks, and told me that she would be more than happy to serve me again when I came back. As I read through the text, I could feel her enthusiasm radiating through ; it put a smile on my face and spread a warm glow through myself as well.

***
That action came about on the spur of the moment and without any consideration or forethought. What initially was meant to be an unassuming note for one individual, ended up reaching thousands. This simple incident taught me never to underestimate how much of an impact a few words of appreciation or a simple deed of kindness can have in uplifting your fellow person(s).



                        

No comments:

Post a Comment