Tuesday, August 20, 2013

WHILE GETTING EGGS

I was in the car with my mum this afternoon when she decided that we had to get some eggs.

We popped by a grocery shop. I went down, got the eggs, then headed toward the exit.

Standing by the counter was a frail old man, stooped with age. He was holding at a framed picture in his wrinkled hands.

He stepped aside when I approached, still staring at the picture. As I was paying for the eggs, he looked up at me and smiled. 

" Look at them. " He thrust the picture towards me with a flourish. It depicted a couple in each others arms laughing at the camera, beautiful in their carefree youth. They appeared to be in their mid-twenties.

" You see? That's Rueben and Julia. They're living in Australia now. " He said proudly, beaming at me. 

" And I love them both. " His voice quavered with emotion.

" I see. That's.. that's very nice. " I answered uncertainly, not sure of how to respond.

" You would love them too, wouldn't you? " He said beseechingly, smiling at me from ear to ear. His watery, pale eyes stared at me pleadingly from behind thick framed glasses.

" Well sir, I don't know. After all, I've never met them. "

His face fell.

The cashier gave me back my change. I walked out, leaving him still staring dejectedly at their merry faces. 

I really wonder if they love him too.


                        

No comments:

Post a Comment