Tuesday, June 11, 2013

CARPE DIEM

I was telling a friend about this year. How everything has been falling so perfectly into place. How thankful I was for the things that have been, and how excited I am for the things that have yet to come. Blessing upon blessing showered unto me from above, this year has been surreal. 

So there I was, passionately recounting to him all that has been, eager in my anticipation for all that has yet to come. My hands waving animatedly, face aglow with happiness. He was listening intently as well, then he said this ;

" I'm glad for you. Just be careful not to get too happy. Because then you're gonna have a long way to fall when you come back down to reality ; you're gonna crash hard. "

I stopped in my tracks, momentarily stunned. Flummoxed, flabbergasted, tongue tied. At a complete loss for words.

" What do you mean by that? " I enquired.

" Well, you say that this year has been so wonderful. I just can't help but be concerned. What about when you go back to school and all of this comes to an end? What about when everything around you comes to a full stop and you find yourself staring at the monotony of having a fixed routine again? Won't that be just a huge crash back down to reality, an incredible letdown and disappointment? Just be cautious and don't let yourself go too far. You know as well as I do, that this high isn't gonna last forever. Sooner or later, you're gonna have to get back down here with the rest of us. "

My mouth hung agape in astonishment. I was struck speechless.

***

The higher you are, the harder you fall. Yes, I know that.

So by that logic,

We shouldn't work hard to accomplish success because it might be taken away from us in one swoop of misfortune?

We shouldn't let ourselves fall passionately, deeply, in love because we might get hurt?

We shouldn't pour ourselves out to strive for greatness because we might lose everything if things don't work out?


We shouldn't even dare to venture out of the house because we might get hit by a bus or get stabbed. Heck, we might as well just stay within the confines of our walls and wear bulletproof vests as we tremble in fear of what lies out there.

If you go by that logic, we might as well give up, start digging our graves and lie ourselves down to rest now.

I realize this might be taking it a bit extreme, my all or nothing persona getting a tad worked up. But seriously, that's what it might as well be.

***

/////
I'm sorry (actually no), but I vow to look each day straight in the eye and make the best out of what comes at me. I sure as hell would rather seize life by the horns, than run and cower in fear lest it bite me back. Whether rain or shine, bitter or sweet, nothing is going to stop me from giving it my all and living life to its fullest. In fact, it's from the darkness of its storms that we learn to rejoice in the sunshine, its bitterness that we relish the sweet.
//////////
/////////////////
///////////
Volatile, terrifying, magical, monstrous, deadly, spectacular.  For all the good and the bad, all its highs and its lows. Life is incredible.

And come what may, I pray that I will never lose hold of my Faith, Hope, and Love for all that this life beholds.





                        

1 comment:

  1. People who think that way just don't understand happiness. It's a matter of attitude, not circumstance. People who are genuinely happy never fall too hard.

    ReplyDelete