Wednesday, March 6, 2013

GREAT THINGS


" Take heart, and know that you are destined for great things."



***

I came across the above phrase some time ago. Of late, it has been repeating itself over and over in my mind. 

Recently, I've been thinking more and more about my future. True, I have yet to do my degree after having completed my diploma. 

What am I going to do with my life?

Finish my degree, get a job, get a husband, have kids, settle down, work hard and raise my family?

Is life really that cliched and predictable?

I look around me and everyone is caught up in the same boring old cycle. You go to work in the same cubicle as a dozen others in the office, you all sit down in front of the same screen and work at your typical mundane 9-5 job. You go home, eat dinner, watch some tv, and sleep. The next day, the cycle resumes. Weekends of temporary shortlived merriment intersperse. Weeks, months, years, decades, your whole life goes by like this.

And I tremble in fear lest I become trapped in the same dingy deplorable humdrum.

For lack of a better metaphor, I feel like we are akin to birds in a cage. Thousands of us, with wings and the ability to soar amongst the skies, swoop through the clouds, caress the treetops and coast with the breeze, bask in the sunshine and rain ; yet here we are trudging through this drudgery, shackled in the metaphorical cage that is a cubicle. 

Devoid of any passion, excitement, purpose, fullfilment. Soulless glassy-eyed beings that glide listlessly from task to task, lacking any real emotions that make a living breathing person. An empty shell - thinking that happiness is in front of the idiot box watching reruns of a TV series, that happiness is found at the bottom of your 7th empty bottle of liquor, that happiness is putting on a suit and tie to do something you dislike to have material things which you don't really care about anyway to bring a little temporary excitement to your meaningless existence only to sink lower and lower each time.

Is this what it means to live? 

There is so much more to life than this! There is!

There has to be! 

So many of us trudging along, being led closer and closer to the slaughter, all to undergo the morbid methodical and deliberate annihilation of our souls to end up as just another product on the way out on the conveyor belt, neatly and uniformly packaged and exactly the same as thousands of others with no trace of who we once were. Who we are meant to be.

The very possibility of being enslaved by such monotony makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand and the taste of bile rise in my mouth.

Get a job, make money, buy a house and car, and spend my lifetime working to pay off loans and climb higher up the working ladder. But why? Will that make me happy? 

When life slows down before gradually grinding to a halt, will I look upon it and feel that I have achieved something, anything worthwhile? Will I have anything at all to be relished and treasured?

Wouldn't it be much more fulfilling if I

Went to the north pole and saw killer whales swim alongside our ship?


Wandered the forgotten paths of an ancient jungle in peru?


Ran the Great Wall of China Marathon?


Wouldn't all these things be so much more fulfilling and meaningful, something I would hold on to dearly and cherish my whole life?

No comments:

Post a Comment