Friday, January 20, 2012

WHEN YOUR LEGS GET TIRED, RUN WITH HEART.



as some of you who read my blog regularly may know, i suffered from a knee injury otherwise known as runner's knee in august last year due to overtraining, not getting enough rest, and lack of proper nutrition. my condition rendered me unable to run for 4months, but with ice therapy and other forms of treatment, i've pretty much healed and can run again.

however, somewhere throughout the whole ordeal, i realized that maybe my injury wasn't such a bad thing after all.

how is it even possible for me to say so?

***

firstly, runner's knee may have put me off running, but i was still able to walk. and for those 4 months, that was what i did. i was unable to run, but i was determined not to let that affect my weekly number of kilometers per week (i logged in a minimum of 20km at that time, but now i do close to 40km.) so what did i do? well, i did the same distances i did running, only this time i walked through it.

that meant waking up much earlier as distances i used to run in half an hour, now took double that time.
it took self-restraint for me to keep myself from running.
i also had to exercise self control, and discipline myself to rest enough, eat well, and plan out a proper training schedule.

all of this brought to my mind one phrase ;

"YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU CAN BE, UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE."

i look back on the obstacle that i'd dealt with, and although it might have been a challenge to me, what i do know now is that i had the strength to face and conquer it. how would i have discovered the depths of my determination, and hammered home my commitment to stay fit if i had just thrown in the towel? i could have made excuses, i could have felt sorry for myself - indeed, most people would have told me that i had every right to do so. i could easily have given up and told myself that that was it, i was never going to run again.

but if i had given up, what would that have done for me? i'd just have felt worse and dug myself deeper into my hole of depression, and probably slid back into my old ways of not exercising consistently.

as i go on my usual runs now, i'm glad to be able to look back and know that lest there be more challenges, i am able to go through them, and that i will NEVER stop running. at least, not for a long while yet. :)










No comments:

Post a Comment