Friday, October 14, 2011

KINGSLEY COMMUNITY DAY

so after what seems like donkey years, i'm finally blogging about the community day organized by kingsley international school.

the event was held on the 20th of august (yes, that long ago) and the purpose of it was to raise funds for charity.

with jay. 
he's the person who acted as our go between with the koreans as he speaks decent english, having lived in the states for a few years as a teen.

the kingsley lane was filled with stalls which were handled by parents of the students.

some pretty cupcakes. i wanted to hang around and take more pictures, but decided against it because as you can see, it was so so packed and everyone was very squashed up against each other.

my year4 students and i - zafira and judith, who's 1/4 chindian.
judith is so pretty! 

year1 and year2 students dressed up in fancy costumes.

so cute!

shyvonne and i, 19years of friendship and counting ; we've been friends since we were babies. :)

that's cause our parents are friends from way back, so when we were born (we're both the same age) they'd just leave us to play with each other while they would catch up over coffee.

year4s performing on stage.

man, would you just LOOK at all those cameras?

some of the older korean girls, this picture was taken right before their performance, which explains the matching outfits.

korean students from year3 and year4 - irene, sally, ted (jae won), jimmy (ji won), sam, and ernest.

sally and i.

then, my camera's battery died, leaving me to resort to using my phone. so all the pictures from this point on are taken with my phone, excuse the sub-par quality.

gratuitous picture of myself.

at the community day, they also had a blood donation drive as part of the event. if you recall, i said in an earlier post that i would take this opportunity to donate my blood, so i went for it.

potential blood donors getting the all clear before proceeding. 

i was so excited!

took the form they handed me, read through all the requirements.


yup, i'm good!

took this picture while waiting in line to have my blood checked.

at last, it was my turn! the guy pricked my index finger with a needle to get the blood to flow out so that they could determine my blood type.

the two drops of blood on the bottom are mine.

and i'm type AB.

so i went through the processing of vital stats, etc, when suddenly, the guy exclaimed "oh no, eh you tak boleh derma lah!"

and i was like "WHAT? WHY?"

turns out i had low haemoglobin/oxygen levels in my blood (minimum was 12.5g per litre, mine was about 11g per litre) and i was also deficient in iron. what on earth? i'd always perceived myself to be this strong, healthy, person who'd pass any health test with flying colours, so the screening certainly surprised me.

hence, i was unable to donate blood, because they wouldn't let me. they said that i'd faint, turn blue in the face, or have difficulties seeing straight, etc. if i did so.

aww darn. D:

my friend eunice, who came together with me to lend support and also donate blood. look at her happily donating hers! hmmph jealous. >:(

eunice's blood.

the medics busily categorizing and storing the donated blood for future distribution.

***

as i had to rush off early, i didn't stick around til the end of the event. however, i really enjoyed working at kingsley, where every day was a new experience. they say that teachers are there to teach ; but there is also a wealth of wisdom to be absorbed from young minds.

i told them that i'd be likely to return to work next year, and i really hope that i'll be able to do so. 
kingsley international, thank you for all that you've done for me! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment